Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Flash Codes (WS2)

Flash Codes

I did my flash codes testing on a Toyota 4A-FE engine. I checked if my check engine light was working. My tutor had created some faults in the engine. 

I located the diagnostics plug. With the ignition off i had bridged terminal TE1 and E1. This creates a short circuit and gets the codes out by blinking the check engine light.

The lights started blinking and giving me codes. Every blink indicated a number eg. 2 blinks then a pause and 4 blinks was 24. then a long pause and then another code. The codes i got was 24, 41 and 31.

From the service manual i found out what each code meant.
24 - intake air temperature circuit
41 - throttle position sensor circuit
21 - vacuum sensor circuit

I did a visual inspection to all the circuit and found that all the lugs were not clicked in properly. The connectors were not in properly with the sensors.

I then plugged back the connectors and cleared the codes by taking out the ecu fuse for about a minute. Then i rechecked the system for codes by doing the same procedure for testing. The light kept blinking. It was code 1 saying everything is normal.

This faults wouldn't have let the engine to start and if it started it would hesitate and will be rough. 

After finding the fault codes you should be doing a volt drop test to check at grounds and power supply. checking voltage outputs at signal.


No comments:

Post a Comment